- The University of Belgrade is the oldest university in Serbia, founded back in 1808. Today, it is a research-oriented university, and one of the largest and globally best ranked universities in SEE and the Mediterranean region.
- For several years in a row, the University of Belgrade has held high placement at global academic ranking lists. Since 2013, the University of Belgrade has been continuously ranked among the world’s top 500 universities at possibly the most prestigious global ranking list published by Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as Shanghai Ranking. Each year Shanghai Ranking further places the University of Belgrade at the very top among the best universities from the East and South-East Europe. In certain fields (such as food technology) the University of Belgrade ranksis ranked among the very top world universities.
- In Serbia, it stands out as the university that educates the highest number of professionals in a wide variety of fields of study, while its international success continuously strengthens its position of the leading higher education institution in the region.
- The University of Belgrade is a comprehensive university, comprised of 31 faculties, 11 research institutes, offering 426 study programs covering all areas of engineering, natural sciences, medical sciences, social sciences and humanities, of which 99 undergraduate, 182 master, 94 doctoral degrees, as well as 42 professional specializations and 9 integrated master degrees.
- All of its study programs have been harmonized with the principles of the Bologna Declaration, with the aim to make the University of Belgrade a part of the Common European Education Area, with an emphasis on mobility of students and staff.
- The University of Belgrade has a long tradition in academic and cultural exchange and has so far built an extensive cooperation network, with numerous HEI around the globe, through more than 250 bilateral agreements and more than 200 Erasmus+ KA1 projects, while offering 71 study programs in the English language.
Foreign students are also given an opportunity to take an intensive Serbian language course in case they choose to enroll in a study program taught in the Serbian language at the UB - Faculty of Philology Center for Serbian as a Foreign Language.