Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Phone numbers 1:+381 11 3615 436
Phone numbers2:+381 11 2685 936
Fax:+381 11 2685 936
Address:18 Bulevar oslobođenja Street, Belgrade
Dean:Prof. Dr. Vlado Teodorović
Vice Dean for undergraduate studies:Prof. Dr. Milorad Mirilović
Vice Dean for postgraduate studies:Prof. Dr. Danijela Kirovski
Vice Dean for economic affairs:Prof. Dr. Vanja Krstić
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade is situated near the centre of the city at Bulevar oslobođenja 18, several hundred metres from the central Square Slavia towards Autokomanda Square, in the vicinity of Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry. When founded, some fifty years ago, it was located at the edge of the fast developing city. Recently, some steps towards its dislocation have been initiated.
Although the idea of founding the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine arose at the beginning of the twentieth century, the institution was established upon the Declaration of the Department of Education Act No 30281/36 in 1936 when it was named Veterinary Faculty of the University of Belgrade. On the 19th of August, 1936 first professors, mainly chosen among teachers of the Faculty of Medicine and/or Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, were elected to start the courses in accordance with the decision of the University Senate. The First Dean was Professor Živojin Đorđević, PhD. A total of 149 students were enrolled in 1936 Class, and the teaching was performed at the premises of the Faculty of Medicine.
During the first year vacancies for professors, associate professors, assistant professors and assistants were opened. Many eminent persons who made huge contribution to the development of the Faculty were appointed among them professors Ilija Đuričić, PhD, Antonije Vuković, PhD; Čedomir Simić, PhD; Jovan Dimić, PhD; Vladeta Simić, PhD, etc were among first elected into collegiums.
Just before the outbreak of the Second World War the construction activity for the present Faculty Building started. Unfortunately, the construction and classes stops in 1941. The construction site revived in 1946, so that by 1948 most of the Faculty facilities, including some clinics were opened and the bases for research activity were also instituted.
In the past period the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has developed into a huge university and research institution with 300 employees, 70 professors and assistant professors, 30 assistant lecturers, and 200 technical staff.
Presently there are 1400 students enrolled in undergraduate courses and 92 postgraduate students. By 2006, 7574 students had completed the undergraduate course, 355 graduated at MSc courses and 900 veterinarians graduated at postgraduate specialization courses at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Belgrade. There have been 742 publicly defended PhD theses. Many practicing veterinarians have had different forms of individual tuition and/or short courses for continuing education. Five professors of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine have been chosen members of the Serbian Academy of Science.